When you notice water dripping out of your electrical panel box, your first reaction is to panic. Water and electricity make for a dangerous combination, and although signs of moisture aren’t something you want to see, water getting into the electrical panel box is a common problem homeowner face. But it isn’t a problem you should try to fix yourself. Call an expert electrical technician to determine the extent of the damage and recommend the necessary repairs.
You rely on a variety of lighting fixtures to keep your home beautiful and useable when it’s dark outside. However, many homeowners fail to account for their light fixtures when thinking about potential electrical problems. Some property owners mistakenly believe that changing light bulbs when necessary is enough maintenance to ensure their light fixtures stay safe.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), there are 28,600 electrical fires per year. These fires cause $1.1 billion in property damage and loss and are responsible for 310 deaths and 1,100 injuries each year.
The months with the most electrical fires are December and January due to increased use of heating appliances and lights. Most electrical fires start in the bedroom, but the highest number of fatalities occur with fires located in the living room, family room and den.
Some electrical fires happen because of problems in house wiring or appliance failure, but many occur due to mistakes that homeowners make like overloading electrical outlets or extension cords.